Monday, April 4, 2011

More 80's Nostalgia

Hello, folks. Sorry I haven't been posting as much, but it's the end of the semester and I've been busy as hell trying not to drop the ball in the last three weeks before break. I wanted to assure everyone that I haven't been jailed for excessive coolness. Not yet, anyway. So here's a write up on a couple of items, from me to you.

Hand-Painted California Raisin!

.
It was a real bitch getting him to stand on the carpet.
That's right, folks, this is a HAND-PAINTED California Raisin guy. Somebody made this out of their passionate love for the California Raisins and it shows through the red shoes and pipe-cleaner arms. He's a solid block of wood, which means somebody outlined a California Raisin shape on a piece of wood and cut it out with a fancy saw. I don't know about you, but I find this highly amusing. They obviously spent some time hand crafting a California Raisin  for whatever reason people have for doing things like that. Love, I suppose. Love of the California Raisins.

Does everybody remember the California Raisins? Basically they were a claymation/cartoon band used to advertise raisins (shock!) but evolved into something of a bigger entity, getting a cartoon show along with a SHIT-load, and I emphasize shit because it was quite a load, of little rubbery figurines. There was the band of course, with guitar players and drums and whatnot, as well as other raisins doing random things. There were ones doing skateboarding, rollerblading, lounging on the beach, and female raisins doing female things like... standing there, looking pretty.

Well anyways, somebody apparently had quite an obsession with the California Raisins, to the point where the official merchandise wasn't enough. This person had to play raisin-God, and forge a raisin all their own.

Dirty...
Cost of Homemade California Raisin: $.59

Skeletor!!!

Look at him, killing a guy.
Whooooo, I do so love Skeletor. And what a great name! If my name was Skeletor, I would've probably been in far fewer fights as a kid. Nobody fucks with a guy named Skeletor.

In case you're one of those weird people born in the 90's, Skeletor was the bad guy of the cartoon/action figure line "He-Man and the Masters of the Universe." He was kind of a goofball on the cartoon, which kind of eclipsed his evil nature, but that was just a cover-up so kids wouldn't wet their pants at the sight of him tearing off He-Man's head and drinking the blood as it sprays like a fountain. Just look at him, man. He's got a green skull for a head! That makes him the ultimate evil bad-ass, and if Skeletor were real and alive, he'd probably be sleeping with all kinds of hot Gothic chicks.

This version of Skeletor is from 1985, and is a sort of "Battle Damage" Skeletor. The plate on his chest with the bat rolls over twice, with the undamaged side, a single gash side, and then two gashes in the armor side, respectively. It's kind of pointless to me, though, because in my battles, Skeletor would never take damage. He'd just kill He-Man effortlessly and allow evil to rule over the land of Eternia for all time. I'm kind of sick like that.

Cost of Skeletor Battle Damage Figure: $.36

By the Power of Greyskull!

3 comments:

  1. Yup, can't lie, that raisin gives me the creeps! And he looks like he's flipping everyone off. I agree, Skeletor is a pretty bad ass name.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that you used the verb "forge" -- which seems heavy and important -- to describe the raisin's making. (Our culture gets obsessed with the weirdest stuff.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why were/are the California Raisins so compelling? I wondered that even as a young kid. I was like, why do I like them so much? Still have no clue. Maybe just because Claymation is so badass.

    ReplyDelete